Front brake pad and rotor replacement on a 1999 Saab 9-5. This guide will
also apply to NG900 and 9-3.
guide is available if you're looking to upgrade your brakes with 308 mm
rotors and Aero calipers.
After the installation, an aggressive bed-in is recommended. Find a street
with low traffic and a high speed limit. Do a series of moderate intensity
stops to heat up your brakes (or roll with a brake pedal slightly engaged).
Then do a series of really hard stops from 100 km/h to 10 km/h. Brake as
hard as you can, almost to the point of locking the wheels, but never come
to a complete stop, always keep the car moving. Do it 8-10 times, you might
notice a strong burning smell and some brake fade by the end of the series -
this is normal. Drive the car for another 10 minutes to let the brakes cool
Tools and supplies:
- Torx E20 socket: caliper bolts (2002+ 9-5);
- 18 mm socket: caliper bolts (1999-2001 9-5);
- 17 mm socket: wheel bolts;
- 10 mm Allen socket: caliper bolts (NG900/9-3);
- 7 mm Allen socket: caliper guide pins;
- 5 mm Allen socket: rotor index screw;
- impact driver, drill and screw extractor (optional);
- wire brush;
- torque wrench;
- anti-seize grease;
- car jack and stands.