|[expand all] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24|
25 26 27 28 29 30 [index]
|09.10.2005: Turbine seals|
The middle retaining ring was completely missing on both turbos. Its
groove was filled flush with cooked oil, so I had to dig through it.
The installation of the shaft is a bit awkward since you have the back
cover plate blocking the view, but sooner or later it snaps in. Just don't
force it too much.
This Garrett T25 turbo is found on 1991-1998 Saab 9000, 1994-1998 Saab 900
and 1999 Saab 9-3. There are certain differences between the models, but the
cores are almost identical, so you might find this useful even if your unit
is somehow different from those pictured. The goal of this job was to rebuild
a turbocharger using new seals and bearings from a service kit.
Tools and supplies:
- 14 mm six-point socket (turbine end nut);
- 13 mm spanner wrench (exhaust housing bolts);
- 10 mm wrench (wastegate actuator);
- 8 mm twelve-point socket, did without it (compressor wheel nut);
- Torx T15 screwdriver (thrust bearing);
- small torque wrench with an inch-lbs scale;
- large and small snap ring pliers;
- gear puller;
- engine oil;
- degreaser and cleaning supplies.